L. D. Oakes has spent his life in the service of his community. Still known as “Mr. Mayor” to many who see him around town, Oakes, who has lived most of his 83 years here, is packing his bags and leaving. Oakes is moving to Cincinnati to be closer to his son and daughter and their families. He was elected to Martinsville City Council in 1976 and served for 20 years, retiring in 1996.
“Mr. Mayor” is moving
More from NewsMore posts in News »
- Martinsville nurse wins The DAISY award
- Three injured in crash involving motorcycle
- Four rescued, three located deceased and two still missing as Dan River search and rescue efforts continueFour rescued, three located deceased and two still missing as Dan River search and rescue efforts continue
- Virginia State Police seeking public’s help locating driver of vehicle
- Governor incentivizes people to go back to work