L. D. Oakes has spent his life in the service of his community. Still known as “Mr. Mayor” to many who see him around town, Oakes, who has lived most of his 83 years here, is packing his bags and leaving. Oakes is moving to Cincinnati to be closer to his son and daughter and their families. He was elected to Martinsville City Council in 1976 and served for 20 years, retiring in 1996.
“Mr. Mayor” is moving
More from NewsMore posts in News »
- Reversion is now a done deal
- Half the gas stations in Virginia without gas, President says culprits live in Russia
- CDC eases mask rules, VDH announces vaccination for 12-15 year-olds
- Martinsville, Henry County to receive over $12 million in federal recovery money
- Youngkin, Sears, and Miyares are GOP winners